8 principles of decision making
- The Peace Test: Is this decision causing my peace to become unsettled or worrisome? Col. 3:15; Phil. 4:6-8
- The Word of God Test: Is this decision that I am about to make going to violate anything in the Word of God? God’s Word makes us well prepared. 2 Tim. 3:16-17; Luke 6:38
- The Love Test: Does this decision violate God or people? What does God’s love look like? 1 Cor. 13:4-8
- Wisdom & Common Sense Test: Does this decision show good common sense? Prov. 3:13-18: Prov. 4:7-8; Prov. 2:6-10.
- Focus Test: Does it cause me to lose focus on the purpose God has for my life? Does it keep me in line with the known will of God in His word? Or does it sidetrack you? Does it take life away from you and the fruitfulness God has for you? Focus keeps you firm in conviction and keeps you on track.
- Motive Test: What are my motives in making this decision? Does it involve selfishness? How will it affect others and myself? James 4:3
- Fruit Test: What will this decision produce? God wants us to be fruitful. Wonderful fruit ought to come from our decisions. Gal. 6:7-10
- The Voice of Experience Test: 1 Cor. 10:13; Prov. 1:1-7
What does experience say about my decision? Others have been down similar roads. What can I learn from the experience of others? Include the voice of experience in your decision-making process. Learn from those who walk the walk.